Thursday 2 July 2009

I take it all back - Sir David Austin was right!

Patience has never been a particularly strong suit of mine - especially when waiting for a plant to finally bud and flower, or for seedlings to germinate. I check on seedlings, especially, so frequently that if anything they die of overwatering and too much 'love' and attention.

In this case definitely a few more days has made all the difference. Here are the photos of how my rose is looking now, and I think it's fair to say that the flowers have 'mellowed' and are now much more like those in the catalogue, so I can relax and be happy :o)



5 comments:

Erin said...

Those are really neat!

Stephanie said...

Very pretty roses! Take time to enjoy the flowers yeah ;-)

Flora said...

Thanks Erin and Stephanie for the kind comments - I am really enjoying the roses :o)

Stopwatch Gardener said...

Flora -- lovely pics! I'd be interested to know if this David Austin rose of yours is still flowering. I don't have Harlow Carr, but I have a few others from DA and they definitely are going strong, especially the ones planted close to the house. I'm outside Edinburgh, so a bit cooler than you if you're in the city center.

Flora said...

Hi Stopwatch Gardener - sorry, a bit on the slow side to reply to your comment. The Harlow Carr did flower really well, and for a good long time (although I can't remember now when the last flowers were over). I'm hoping that it'll do even better this year as it'll be more established. Which varieties do you have? Any you'd recommend? I particularly like roses which have a good strong scent :o)