Saturday 27 June 2009

Rose Watch '09: The first flowers!

Well, the waiting is over and after watching the buds carefully for the last week I stepped outside this morning into the grey, drab, rainy day to discover that the buds had suddenly decided to open! Not very nice weather to welcome them, but the droplets of water do look really pretty on the petals. Believe it or not I have actually thinned the flowers by cutting out a good few buds to try and let the remaining ones grow bigger - although looking at these pictures there still seem to be lots of buds clustered together, so maybe I'll have to be a bit harsher...

Oh, and most importantly, I can also happily report that the scent is very pleasant indeed! :o)


4 comments:

Val said...

They look lovely. It is very exciting when a bud opens to reveal it's full glory! Val

Helen/patientgardener said...

What a beautiful rose. It looks so dainty. I hope it flowers alot for you.

Reading your other posts I dont think I would last long in a nursery where I could run up a tab!!!

Stephanie said...

good job! This is a pretty rose. It is always so pleasant to find flowers blooming in the morning. Cheers!

Flora said...

Hi - Thanks for the comments - I must admit that i'm really enjoying smelling the roses each time I go in and out of the house... although I suspect that my husband might be finding this a bit irritating!

Patientgardener: I'm not sure that my wages will last long with the degree of temptation that I'm facing at the nursery either - at this rate they'll cover my increasing tab and that'll be it! (maybe a slight exaggeration... but there is a lot of tempatation!).