Friday 24 April 2009

What a difference a month makes!

I don't know about you, but i've certainly become quite attached to some of my plants. They don't have names, but they have histories and i'd be quite sad if they died. This, in particular, applies to the magnolia in my first pot. Pot 1. I don't know what type it is as i rescued it from Morrisons supermarket about 5 years ago now and it has lived in this pot ever since.

All I do know is that it is a survivor. It has lived through extensive periods of neglect. Being transported up and down the country when I've moved house, being kept in storage (through which it lost its leaves) and almost no regular watering, let alone feed. About the only thing that I did right from the start is to plant it up in ericaceous compost as magnolias like acidic soil conditions. Last year, I took it out of the pot and carefully removed all the old compost and replanted it (in the same container). Then later discovered that magnolias supposedly hate having their roots messed with - I must have a tough, yet forgiving plant, as it is still with me, and has even rewarded my efforts with some truly gorgeous coloured flowers. I just love this plant.

Look see! The first picture was taken 20 March, the second 24 April:



3 comments:

Animated Magic said...

A wonderful post. The tenderness with which you described your tough but forgiving potted magnolia made me realize that nerds have hearts too.

On a serious note I enjoyed reading the beginnings of your blog, keep it going.(By Flora's brother... I'm not this mean to everyone.)

Heather said...

You will love garden blogging! What a great way to share with friends, old and new! Can't wait to see more. I love your front door. I wish mine looked like that.

Flora said...

The front door seems to be getting a lot of admirers!