Monday 27 April 2009

Colchicums are thugs

Back in July last year, when I was offered some colchicum bulbs, I had thought they would be great to have in my pots. A few autumn crocuses seemed like a pleasant idea - and the flowers in September/October were lovely, adding some colour when not much else was happening. However, I'm now wondering whether that autumn colour was worth it as their leaves have completely swamped the pots they're in! I'm just hoping that they'll die back soon (colchicums grow from bulbs and only have leaves from spring to early summer, during which time they store energy, before the leaves die back and they then flower in the autumn). Thankfully the tulip bulbs in the pot next door (a variety called Valentine) have been more successful!

The colchicums are responsible for the huge mass (or should that be 'mess') of leaves in the large blue pot, not quite the effect I'd hoped for:


8 comments:

Animated Magic said...

A thug maybe, but a happy thug.

Flora said...

Thanks for that Luke! :o)

Nprthern Shade said...

The Valentine tulips look great with their soft pink colour, perfect for spring. The little purple blue grape hyacinths look nice with them.
It's always tricky balancing the benefits of a plant with its off-season look, especially when your space is limited.

Stephanie said...

Hi Flora, found your blog through Blotanical. Never know about Colchicum plant before I read this post. Looks a bit like tulip. Very cute flowers. Have a great day! Btw, welcome to Blotanical. Hope you will find it interesting;-)

Flora said...

Nprthern Shade: Thanks for the nice comments - I know you're right about having to get the balance with plants that are off season (but look good later on)... I guess I'm just a bit obsessed with how the pots are looking! And when two of the largest are dominated by fairly dull looking leaves it's a bit frustrating. Valuable plant space is being occupied by leaves! Argh!

Flora said...

Stephanie: I'm glad that you like the look of the colchicums - hopefully later on in the autumn I'll be able to post some photos of them in flower when they look infinitely more exciting and attractive!

Stephanie said...

Hi Flora, thank you for joining my blog. I am so happy to have a new follower like you (expert gardener!) ;-) I am joining yours too for more updates from you and this Colchicum flower in autumn off course.

Flora said...

Stephanie: Thanks for for joining my blog :o) It's great being able to see how people in exotic and far flung parts of the world are gardening - your garden is definitely more exotic! (I love those little watermelon like leaves of the begonia - so sweet). Not sure about the 'expert' gardener part - I'm studying horticulture, but am far from an expert. So many plants to learn about, so little time!